As a mentor, coach and part-time people watcher, I find it amusing that so many people who say they want to learn, evolve and become more effective and empowered versions of themselves often avoid the very thing that will give them the most powerful opportunity for growth.
And being as we live in the quick-fix, instant-gratification, reward-without-effort generation, you can imagine how popular the ‘you should try some discomfort‘ message makes me with some people.
When I look back over my last thirty years of business, training, relationships and life, I can honestly say that the times when I have grown the most were invariably when I was either physically, mentally, emotionally, sociologically, financially, professionally or creatively uncomfortable.
If not, terrified.
Sometimes pain is a great motivator. And teacher. So, if you’ve been camped at Stagnation Station for far too long, here are some powerful reasons to step out of your comfort zone and away from your safety net.
It will help you….
1. Build your resilience and resourcefulness muscles.
2. Become a more effective decision maker.
3. Become a better problem solver (rather than problem creator).
4. Develop your mental and emotional strength.
5. Become more adaptable and flexible (important in an ever-changing world).
6. Build your confidence and self-esteem.
7. Gain a new level of perspective, awareness and insight.
8. Change your thinking for the better.
9. Conquer some of your fears.
10. Create more powerful and positive beliefs and expectations.
11. Develop new practical skills.
12. Overcome anxiety (avoiding things does the opposite).